So this past weekend I was in town without guests - what to do. A friend from my firm, Rodrigo, and I decided to explore our city. He hadn't been to Central Park in about 10 yrs so Nissa and I decided to show him around. First I sent Nissa to a new groomer so she'd look snazzy, but the groomer totally butchered her cut, but I'll save that rant for another day. Anyway, we headed into the park and met a ranger (yep, they exist in a city too). She told us how to figure out where we are in the park so Rodrigo could post it on foursquare (he's a bit obsessed). Turns out that every lamp post in the park tells you which cross-street you are at and some even tell you if you are West, Central, or East. Amazing, now I'll never be lost. After that we headed to the Rambles near the Lake, before stopping at a cafe for some Sangria in the Park.
Next, he convinced me I should come to a house party in the lower east side. I have to say I felt like I was back in college at a frat party or apartment party. There was the token, very drunk, preppy guy spraying everyone with champagne, the drunk giggly girls hanging on the guys, music that was only missing Aqua's Barbie Girl (which I played when I got home just to complete the night), and my friend and I were on the dance floor belting out I Will Survive (along with the slightly newer Single Ladies). Yep, just like college. It was a lot of fun to dance again, but I forgot how sticky alcohol covered floors get.
Sunday was a little less eventful, with a bit of sleeping in and finishing up some work for Monday, but one has to be able to pay for their life. ;-)
Actually, speaking of paying for life, I have a finance guy - really. They kept calling my office so I finally met with one and despite not having much money he's looked over my debt/income ratio (way too much student debt - it's half my take home, ugh. It is even more then my rent). Beside the 401K (which we spiced up with some additions) and paying of student debt, we are setting up short-term and long-term savings plans and tax-shelters. Yep, I get to have a tax shelter - not sure exactly how yet. It turns out you need about 3M to set up a trust which amazingly I don't have. Though I felt really lucky when I got my lottery ticket the other day. ;-) Apparently, it is within a life insurance policy but I haven't had the time to figure it all out yet. We met this past Monday and finalized the 401K strategy and started my tax-shelter paperwork. I'll keep you posted, since I need to be approved for life insurance before we go any further.
More flashback for the coming weekend and a shout out to Big Red Wines, most of who I will see this weekend in Philly. Can't wait!
Quote of the Post:
I'm a barbie girl, in the barbie world
Life in plastic, it's fantastic!
you can brush my hair, undress me everywhere
Imagination, life is your creation
- Aqua, Barbie Girl
...come on Barbie, let's go party!
ReplyDelete