July 14, 2010

Wow! So sorry loyal readers

I cannot believe I let all of June go by without a single post, especially with so much to catch up on. June marked 6 months in the Big Apple. I am really enjoying it here. It also marked 6 m at my firm, which has been a good time overall.

Since the firm came up, June was crazy. I went from a little over 50 billable hours in May to just under 250 hrs in June. July is looking to be in the middle, which would be nice. June wasn't just a boring doc review though. I had real work. I'm on a leanly staffed case which might actually go to trial and have been working on draft complaints and such. Sadly that is all I can share, but I am not a mindless drone which is nice.

As to the rest of my life. Many visitors have come by. I managed to leave two weekends. I spent memorial day weekend in the ADK for my Mom and Grandfather's birthdays and then headed south to the Albany area to see Liz. I also made it up MetroNorth with Nissa to see Connie and Ike at her place for a change. Despite the hrs I usually had some time on weekends and a few people made it to NYC to visit as well.

Most exciting (to me) is my new phone - the iPhone 4. While is has been maligned in the press, I have been wanted one since 2007 (iPhone, not the iPhone 4 in particular). This one is more reminiscent of the original in shape and style, which I love. My phone has dropped calls but only at high traffic times so I am still blaming AT&T. Overall I love it! It takes great photos, I haven't had to carry my blackberry in almost a month and will be giving it back as soon as my firm OKs the iPhone and I love having everything at my fingertips. I've even read court cases on it in a crunch. PS The screen resolution really is amazing.

I also turned older this month. The phone was my gift to me (my previous phone dated back 3 yrs to Nissa's phone eating days). My sister and Connie came to NYC to celebrate with me on my island and took me out for fabulous Italian food - Sara and I had the soft-shelled crab, yum. And then, of course, we followed up with my favorite french toast the next morning. The heat was deadly so walking was limited. I have to say - summer is my least favorite season. It means lots of tourists, heat and humidity - all things I could do without. As a kid I loved it, but looking back it was only because I didn't have to go to school.

My litigation matter has slowed but I have started working on a pro-bono matter which has been filed in NYC Housing Court. It has been interesting so far, I've really helped shape the answer we filed and I am working on the first draft of the Motion to Dismiss. I also got added to a long term doc review - hmm, can that be fun??? Guess I'll find out.

Actually Nissa got to go to work with me this past weekend. I took her to the groomers in the morning and went to work but wasn't even close to done by the time she was ready. I asked (ie begged) the security guys to let me bring my dog back with me and they agreed so long as she was in a bag. Good thing Nissa compacts well. She looked very lawyerly in my chair (courtesy of my iPhone).


Now that visitors have slowed, I am finally getting together with friends in the city again. Kristal and I just grabbed dinner and caught up. Amy and I are getting lunch next week.
Oh, my random NY moment. I was walking on the upper east when someone stopped me and asked if I had attend my alma mater for undergrad. Yep, and we confirmed graduation dates. Turned out he had been in a fraternity back then and remembered me. Gotta love it.

Well, that is the short version. I'll post some details if I get time but more likely will just try to keep up better in the future. Hope summer is treating everyone well.

Quote of the Post:
Trent: Have dinner with me.
Meredith: Look, I'm not going to sue you or anything.
Trent: I'm not asking as a pre-emptive strike against litigation, I'm asking--
Meredith: I'll have dinner with you.
Trent: What changed your mind?
Meredeith: Anyone who can say 'pre-emptive strike against litigation' with a straight face deserves a dinner companion.
- Playing By Heart (film)

1 comment:

  1. Looks like they did a better job with Nissa's haircut this time around! :)

    ReplyDelete