December 29, 2010

My First NYC Tree

Artificial trees make little sense in NYC where space (including storage space) is at a premium so I decided to get my first live tree. I’ve always preferred live trees, but I like large trees and being solo meant cutting, transporting, and putting up a large real tree on my own. Well, lets just say it was daunting. I knew NYC had a tree recycling program (they chop up the trees each year for wood chips to use in the parks), but couldn’t figure where or how you got one. Turns out many sidewalks are turned into small forests after Thanksgiving, but many look scraggly and dry. I wanted something more so I googled it of course.

Turns out there are a lot of companies selling full size, real Christmas trees via mail order. Many are in Oregon, W Virginia, Michigan and Minnesota. I found a small family owned company in rural Maine that has been shipping trees since 1961 (wreath.com). They were easy to contact and had one of the best prices (a 7 foot tree was $79 FedExed to my door). This escaped the crappy tree problem as well as how to get it home on the subway. (Can you see me wielding a 7’ tree on the subway?)

After my order, I worried I had over bought - a “giant” tree in my studio? What was I thinking! But all turned out well. I had a friend help me carry it to my apartment and hold it while I got it in the tree stand. It was amazing to see a full bushy tree come out of a 10 ft long but 1 foot square box. It even came with a friendly message from my tree asking for fresh water as soon as it arrived to keep it healthy. Since it has lost few needles, I guess I got that water for it fast enough.

I also needed lights, since I had previously had pre-lit trees, and a tree stand (artificial trees don’t need water). I found a place with exact replicas of the miniature white lights I love but in a warm LED so I didn’t have to worry about expensive bills. I also got what was advertised as a small stand for up to a 10’ tree. Works really well but small it is not.

Finally, my ornaments had to get to NYC. They had been residing in a huge box in “the unit” (my sister’s nickname for the storage unit I rent in Albany). My mother and sister did a last minute drive of my ornaments over to Liz, who was coming down to help me organize paper (not as interesting or fun a story, but she was amazing and my last box from my move was unpacked and put away!!!).

With all of that taken care of, my tree was finally done. I crowned it with a Bedlington angle (I kid you not) that Andrew found last year but I had no tree to put it on, while I listened to Rhythm and Blues Christmas. There is nothing better then watching a tree with a hot chocolate (with peppermint schnapps) and having your dog by your side.

Next year I think I’ll get the giant tree again and maybe add a wreath for the door.

Quote of the Post:
Never worry about the size of your Christmas tree. In the eyes of children, they are all 30 feet tall.
- Larry Wilde

No comments:

Post a Comment