Margaret finally got to make it up to visit Nissa and me in NYC. Unfortunately Bolt bus was not all it was advertised to be – left late, didn’t take a rest brake, no real wi-fi, etc. But she did finally arrive in one piece down near Penn station where Nissa and I were ready to grab her and get her home to our apartment. With the late arrival we crashed and chatted for a bit and planned for more things the next day.
It was one of the nicest weekends of the summer weather-wise. July had record breaking heat with the humidity to match, but we woke up to a low humidity day with a high in 80s expected. What to do but enjoy the day. After a breakfast of eggs and toast we headed to Central Park so Nissa could join in the fun. We explored and meandered, ending up in the rambles where we followed the sounds of music to an impromptu concert on a hill overlooking the lake. We joined the audience and sat for a good while singing along with feel good songs.
We lost track of time, and realized it was well past lunch and we were hungry. Since we planned on enjoying a large dinner of Spanish tapas, we didn’t want to overdo it so we headed to Patsy’s, were I knew they had outdoor seating, and grabbed some margarita pizza to tide us over. We were quite done exploring so we grappled the subway down to Soho to check out purl’s new store. Sadly I got us totally turned around by listening to my phone – for some reason it kept changing the street. But we got to see a lot of Noho and Soho as a result, but purl was closed when we finally reached it.
We headed back home and Nissa got to call it a night, but Margaret and I were not quite done – we still had dinner ahead of us. Margaret had recently been to Spain and was looking forward to having Spanish food again. We took the bus to Queens which always stresses me out because I think I’m going to miss the stop but it always works out fine. We had a great meal and decided the night was so nice we should walk back to my place instead of hailing a cab. Turns out it’s only a little over a mile walking and it was a really nice night. Margaret’s iPod has a program which had calculated we walked over 12 miles that day. Not bad for 1 day in the city.
No weekend in NYC would be complete without a trip to le grainee cafe for French toast, so Margaret and I headed there in the morning. Connie joined us there for yummy French toast and café au laes. OF course after all that eating you have to walk some, so we walked a bit but time was getting away so we needed to get Margaret’s suitcase so she could make her bus back. The NY bus left on time and seemed a more organized operation – she returned home more efficiently but was sold on the greatness of the bold bus.
Connie was more time since she could take any metro north train and I had a coupon from my sister to Coach. Since both of us had our eye on certain items we headed to the nearest Coach store and I got my new wallet and Connie got a fabulous purse in a midnight blue. I am hoping they come out with a wristlet in the blue color. I don’t need another purse right now but a wristlet would be great to have in that color. Sadly, back to reality and work the next day but a very enjoyable and relaxing weekend with friends.
Quote of the Post:
When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe.
-Henry David Thoreau
No comments:
Post a Comment