August 15, 2010

Life with Liz in Upstate

Nissa and I headed up to Albany on the train Friday night to see Liz and Ed. They were hosting a big BBQ on Saturday and had invited me to attend. Vanessa and Justin with their baby were also there and good times were had by all. Vanessa and Liz picked me up from the train station and I realized I was famished so when we had to stop to grab some things for the next day I grabbed some quick, heat up food to eat. The amount of pasta being made for pasta salads was astonishing – there was quite the production line.

The next morning we were up chopping veggies and getting tables set up. I got to run errands – I forgot how much fun driving a standard was, I almost went on a bit of a joy ride, but managed to contain myself. Before two, when the BBQ started, Liz’s parents were over and we got everything outside and set up. It was an impressive amount of food complete with four grills, a fridge for the meat outside, a huge set up to keep the salads iced down, and Ed’s home brew kegs ready for the party. They even had the tractor out to give hay rides to the kids. In all, everyone seemed to have a good time and no one left hungry. The night ended with a bonfire – there is something captivating about a fire, you just have to sit and watch for a while. Even the dogs had a good time – a whole pack of them running around.

The next morning I got to try out the new kitchen and make waffles – the ones my dad used to make on the weekend. People seemed to enjoy them and Liz has a freezer full of them to heat up if she is ever hungry. The train ride back seemed a bit long, but I knew there was work to finish up and I was a little tired from the weekend. Hosting a party is exhausting, but even attending makes me a bit tired. Nissa slept well on the way back though so at least one of us got some rest.

Quote of the Post:
True friendship multiplies the good in life and divides its evils.
-Baltasar Gracian

1 comment:

  1. I ate some of your DELICIOUS waffles for dinner last night. YUM!

    ReplyDelete