August 15, 2010

The Family Returns

My parents hadn’t been down since they helped me move in back in January so my mom wanted to come see me now that I had settled in. Sara, my dad and mom drove down to visit Saturday. I had figured out where the suburban-style grocery store was so I was hoping to cajole them into a trip to a grocery store. But first things first.

My parents had gotten Sara a Leica camera for Christmas and she was hoping to fit it with a filter and light meter while in NY. A friend suggested B&H had a lot of new and old equipment so we headed towards Chelsea. First, Sara had purchased a large canister for flour when she was last in NY and found it was much too big for her apartment. She brought it back and we carried it back to the meatpacking district. After a bit of haggling, the store agreed to exchange it for a smaller canister and let her get something for $6 or less to make up the difference – a stressed few minutes followed while we all suggested items she might want for the $6.

This all took a bit longer than expected and we were famished. My dad’s old newspaper had been in this area and he suggested a steakhouse. Nearby was a diner that looked popular and won out when Sara saw a burger at the steakhouse was $40. The diner turned out to be really good and had a nice area to sit outside. While there, I discovered that B&H wasn’t even open on Saturdays, only Sundays, so we decided to head back to my place after dinner.

I started talking about the fact that corningware was finally making the original stuff again, instead of stoneware, and I was planning on buying some. My mom decided she’d like to get it for me for Christmas so we spent the evening online finding Corelle pieces to complete my dinnerware and corningware for my kitchen – it was fun.

The next morning, you guessed it, we headed back to Chelsea for brunch. Seating was faster than usual but service was quite a bit slower – had to chase them down for the check so we could get to B&H.

B&H was different, you don’t carry items with you. They put them in boxes and conveyer belts take them to the cashier line, where you pick your items up after you pay. Sara’s camera also was a bit different. Instaed of a 39mm or 40mm lens, it was 39.5mm, which is really rare so they didn’t have any filters for it but at least we learned the size. She also got a compact light meter for it at a good price.

It was mid-afternoon by the time we got back and so the grocery shopping did occur but it was a race. My dad dropped us off to go find parking and Sara and I ran around and got all the heavy, large items I usually avoid (gallons of milk, large boxes of cereal) so I wouldn’t have to them via subway later. We were fairly efficient and they got off towards home at a reasonable time.

A friend had wanted to attend a gay-oriented mass he had heard about and so I offered to go with him. I met up with him at the church. The sermon that day was about Mary Magdalene, but was more political then religious. An interesting experience, either way. Another of his friends had also attended and so the three of us headed to a wine bar to discuss the evening.

Quote of the Post:
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
-Voltaire, on Religion

No comments:

Post a Comment